Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Living a Day of Thanks

Because Thanksgiving is only two days away I thought I would take a moment to write about what I am most thankful for (I'm already getting teary-eyed just thinking about it).



My Husband



I met my husband nine years ago when I was 17 years old at the meat market where he worked (yes, a real meat market, where you buy steak and other meat stuff). Planning on NEVER getting married, the first thing he said to his coworkers after I left the store was "I'm going to marry that girl someday." And you know what? Two years later (I was 19 and he was 21) he did! For those of you having a difficult time with the math, Nick and I have been married for over 7 years.


Nick and I are complete opposites, so much though that there was a time we were afraid we didn't have enough in common to stay married, but funny how the most important thing we did have in common was what kept us together, our love for each other and our mutual desire to be together. Today Nick and I have become more alike than I ever imagined. Sometimes we'll say exactly what the other was thinking and just smile about it. Now instead of our differences causing a gap our understanding and appreciation of each other is drawing us ever closer to each other.



Why I am thankful for my husband...


Too many reasons to count. He truly is MY person, I believe designed specifically for me to challenge me, love me and make me grow. He is my greatest support, worst critic (yes, I am even thankful for that); he encourages me to be independent and has taught me compassion. My husband is truly one of the most compassionate people I know (I don't think he even knows it though). He can't even watch the news without it effecting him tremendously. He is giving, incredibly smart, and inquisitive. I am thankful that he cooks, cleans, and that he bought me flowers the other day when he went to the grocery store just because. I am thankful that he is honest, that he questions all things, that he is a hard worker, that he loves me and that he will never leave me. Mostly I am thankful because I can honestly say that I am a better person because of him and that he has made my already good life even better.



Thank you baby....I love you!



Family



I have the most amazing family!


My Parents




I know I am a little bias, but I think I have a good looking set of parents! My parents, now living in Indiana (a very long 12 hour road trip from here) are, as far as I'm concerned, the best parents ever! They have been married for almost 28 years and have taught me what married love is. My parents are each others' best friends, rivals, companions, biggest support, and lovers. They are always openly affectionate with eachother (not in a gross way though, well...sometimes gross) and are more in love today then ever.


From my mom I got ambition and a giving heart; from my dad I got wisdom and patience. I'm beginning to cry writing this because I don't even know how to express the gratitude I feel for having such amazing parents. Sometimes I feel bad that I got so lucky.

My parents are two opposites who together make so much sense. My dad's calm demeanor helps still my mom's anxiety; my mom's very young and adventerous spirit keeps my dad (who is 12 years older than my mom) young and active. They are a perfect pairing. My parents have loved me, supported me, encouraged me, watched me grow, and let go when I needed them to. They have truly become my best friends.

My In-Laws (I don't much like that name for them because they are much more, but for lack of a better name this is what I will call them for now)


From left to right: top row: Ryan (brother-in-law), Craig (father-in-law), Nick(husband); bottom row: Maria (sister-in-law), Teresa (mother-in-laws) me, Haley (sister-in-law)

I love this family! Again, I have know idea how I got so lucky.

I remember the day I first met Nick's family, it was October and Haley was only 8, ryan was 18 (and he hadn't met Maria yet). I came over to their house because Nick and I were going on a haunted hay ride nearby. Their kindness and acceptance was incredible...no wonder I married their son!

Mama T and Papa Craig are undoubtedly the best in-laws a girl could ask for. Mama T knows what it is to love. She is a mother in every sense of the word; alwasy caring for her children. She has ALWAYS made me feel loved, has ALWAYS made me feel comfortable and has ALWAYS had my back. I am truly blessed. Papa Craig reminds me a little of my daddy. He is one of the greatest supports I know and full of wisdom. He is kind and compassionate and gives so much of himself never expecting anything in return. I see so much of Papa Craig in Nick, of which I am truly grateful.

Haley is absolutely and totally the most amazing 17 year old I have ever known. She is the top of her class, in Varsity volleyball and soccer, in student council, etc. And to add to it all she is kind, compassionate, and giving. She has wisdom beyond her years and I feel blessed just knowing her.

Ryan and Maria. I have always loved Ryan and am so grateful for his very different views on life. He keeps things real and interesting. I am thankful for his artistic, passionate nature and for his kindness to me. He has even on a few occasions, when needed, had my back, just like a brother would. My newest object of gratitude, however, is Maria, Ryan's very perfect match. Maria is truly an amazing individual. I so admire her differences from mine and love her more for them. She is a strong yet sensitive person who knows how to love and who cherishes family. In my short time knowing Maria she has already taught me so much about life. She too, I can honestly say, has made me a better person. She is the youngest looking 30 year old I have ever seen (I know...can you believe it?) and I have come to truly cherish her advice and wisdoms acknowledging that she speaks from experience. When she talks...I listen.

Friends



Left to right: me, Keely, Katie, Jill

I have the most amazing friends ever! I love you guys!


I have the kind of friends that will last a life-time. They have everything anyone could ever want in a friend. Seriously! They are the most amazing group of girls ever!


Katie:
She is spunky, wild, crazy, intelligent, ambitious, and sensitive. She will always show up when you need help. You need help cleaning your house, she'll happily clean your bathroom. I just don't get it. I would NEVER volunteer to clean someone else's bathroom. But she is truly amazing like that! She'll help you paint, cook , clean-up, etc. She is a great support system. I love you Katie!


Jill (AKA: Spoils of Wear):
She is the greatest listener I know. And I should know because I'm a pretty great talker! Not to mention she is my greatest ego booster and fabulous support. She is also the best shopping partner ever! She posseses great wisdom, of which I admire, and she always surprises me with her knowledge. Jill is the girl I tell everything...I mean EVERYTHING to. I love you Jill!



Keely:
She is my little cousin and my newest lifetime friend. I remember when she used to kind of annoy me and her sister Katie (listed above). Now I can't wait to hang out with her. Keely has grown into a beautiful woman who I can honestly say is by far the sweetest person I know! I'm not even exaggerating on that one! Keely is always kind, she is spontaneous, and she shows up. She is so much fun to be around and to mentor too. I love you Keely!

As you can see I have the utmost to be thankful for. I really have know idea how I got this lucky. I am truly blessed. Thank you everyone for making my life so amazing. I love you all. I hope never to forget to be thankful each day. Thanksgiving is not just one day of the year, but should be everyday of your life. A grateful heart, I'm sure, is the key to happiness.


And finally....



Oufit of the day:




Checkered Twead Jacket: A Christmas present from Mama T
Black Turtle Neck: Thrifted
Plaid Pencil Skirt: Charlotte Russe brand from my mama
Shoes: Charlotte Russe - $6

2 comments:

  1. Sweet, sweet post. I appreciate you more than you know. Thanks, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost started crying reading this post. It made me think of how much I'm thankful for. You're awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete