Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Warning: May Offend Wal-Mart Shoppers!

As the name may suggest (or not), this blog entry is about Target. Considering that I am pretty much obsessed with the high-end discount retailer, not to mention I have a closet full of the store's wearables, I figured it deserved its own blog. So here it is.

Ode to Target:

When I'm not sure what to wear
nor where to go
I think of you
and your ruby red round symbol

Its funny how you've watched me grow
and fitted me for a many ensemble

For you I am grateful
and know that I will be
forever faithful
for you've seen me through
a many trying times,
of clothes that is,
and decorated my closet
so willingly

I cannot express my gratitude
for all your clearance racks,
small sizes
and fashionable clothing lines

Truly I have found a place
where I can find a simple shirt
to decorate with lace
and while I'm there
I shall not despair
for you also carry...
cloths made of terry

I'm so glad I found you
and know that you will
forever be
respected and adored by me!

Okay, so now that that bit of corn is out of the way I would like to, less dramatically, explain my near obsession with Target. For those of you who do not live in the lovely state of MN it is likely that your store of choice is Wal-Mart, considering that they pretty much rule the world.! But I ask you can you even compare the cute red and khaki to the homely blue hardware aprons typically worn with faded jeans (and not the cute ones either) that the employees where? Or what about Target's advertising campaigns (check out commercial here), how cute, trendy, and original are they compared to...well...Wal-Mart's juvenile smiley face (which I admit is kind of cute), but come on, can't you come up with something different for a change! Then we come to... Super Target has a Starbucks and Diamico and Sons; what does Wal-Mart have...a McDonalds!

These aren't the only reason why I love Target so, however. The shopping ambience, though I'm not sure why, is much more relaxing, inviting, and conducive to shopping and/or browsng than that of Wal-Mart, which often feels Warehousey and cold. At Target I browse; at Wal-Mart I scurry. Finally, I must speak about the fashion-ability of the wearables. A few years back, Target, being the innovator it is, introduced its "Go International" line. A fun, youthful, fashion-forward, and even sometimes classic, junior clothing line. I was sold! It was so cute, mature, girly, punk, funky, fun...you name it! For those of you who have not had the fabulous opportunity to behold the "Go International" line, let me explain.

Every 90 days Target displays a clothing line by a different high-end designer from around the world (now displayed under the designer's name instead of the "Go International" brand), yes you heard me right, high-end designer. Items on display at Target are only a fraction of what you would pay for items from the same designer on the runway, typically with prices points ranging from $100s to $1,000's; while at Target they usually have a price point between $20 and $60. For example, currently Target is carrying a clothing line made exclusively by Target by Anna Sui. Check out this same designer's fall fashion show for her pricier items here. I can also attest for Target's quality of clothing. How many of you have purchased a tank from Old Navy to only have it stretch beyond recognition and loosing its shape with the first wear? Okay, now how many of you have purchased a soft cotton (brushed cotton) top from Express and have it pill with the first wash? I have. Not to say that Target's cotton won't ever shrink, stretch, or fade, but it doesn't with the first wear nor wash, in fact many of my wearables hold up much better than my wearables purchased at more expensive stores. Finally, Target not only provides a great shopping experience, but also provides adorable quality clothing at beyond reasonable prices. One major flaw for the retailer, however, its website could use a complete overhaul. How does such a fashion-forward, trend-setting retailer have such a blah website? Seriously!

So which do you prefer? Target or Wal-Mart?

Outfit of the Day is next!

Because I missed a few posts today you get two outfits, both which are predominantly from Target and both of which were worn on a work day.

Monday
Blue soft cotton cardigan: Target
Blue and white western style button up shirt: Target
Scarf: Target
Brown Chino Pants: Target
Earrings: Target
Shoes: Miss Bisou, Christmas present from my mother-in-law




Tuesday
Grey and white striped top: Target
Black elastic belt: Forever 21
Black skirt with front zipper: Target
Scarf: Target
Grey and black polka dot tights: Target
Black leather flat boots: Kids Gap-thrifted
Silver flower ring: boutique in White Bear Lake



3 comments:

  1. a couple of nights ago i went to walmart and as i left i was muttering about how much i hate it there. i had to stop at target on the way home! as soon as i went in i felt better:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer Target too. HOWEVER, kudos to Walmart for their free ship-to-store shipping policy when ordering online. If Target ever does that, I may never shop at Walmart again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Target for sure wins the prize for all things great.

    Love the poem. Cloths made of terry...heehee

    ReplyDelete