Monday, April 19, 2010

Puffed Sleeves or Modern Day Riding Habit? A Fashion Post

I am making the transition from medical scrubs to corporate wear. I have to admit, though I'd much prefer corporate wear to scrubs almost any day, I have a difficult time shopping for corporate wear, mostly because I am built like a 10 year-old boy. Most clothes appropriate for the corporate world are designed for women with hips, boobs, thighs, and any other shapely women features, all of which I am lacking.

My style is a little funky and I find it difficult to purchase items that are appropriate for work, fit my child-like stature, and are also a reflection of my personal style.

Enter Forever 21...

I remember when the store first came to Minnesota and for some reason I was very unimpressed, so much to the point that I would rarely step foot inside. Not even the store's lure of fashionable items at affordable prices would entice me. I remember thinking the store was too trendy and somewhat of a cliche. Today, however, I have found it to be one of my favorite stores for corporate wear. Who would have thunk it? Forever 21 gives me options. Because the clothing is all in Juniors sizes it fits, but it also quite fashionable and funky. Problem solved! I buy nearly all of my corporate wear at Forever 21 now.

Check it out.

Below is a dress I purchased at Forever 21 just last week on sale for $10.99. I wore it to work today with the jacket, but her it is without the jacket too. Both options are paired with a wide elastic red and white polka dot belt that I purchased in Florida about 5 years ago (love that belt!).

Option 1: Modern Day Riding Habit



Option 2: Puffed Sleeves



You can't tell from the picture, but my jacket is actually a tuxedo-style jacket with a tail in the back.

Which do you prefer?

Dress: Forever 21 - $10.99
Tuxedo Jacket: H&M, Thrifted via Value Thrift Store - $6
Slouch Fabric Boots: Christmas Gift from Mom-in-law
Polka Dot Belt: Store in Florida - $5
Black & White Lion Beaded Necklace: Value Thrift Store - $5
Black & White Leather Buckle Bracelet: Gift from Australia
Handbag: Mine (yes, I made it)

4 comments:

  1. I like forever 21 for the right price.

    http://bigsizeonasmallbudget.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's time you updated your blog. I've learned about all I can on puffed sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love them both...but that tuxedo jacket is pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. adorable outfits! think i like the jacket a tad better <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete